The Scientific Committee of the International Society of Bioethics (SIBI) is competent for proposing, organising, implementing and developing all scientific tasks responding to the entity's aims, in accordance with articles 6, 7, 21 and 22.2 of the SIBI statutes.
The Scientific Committee operates in accordance to its Regulations, which were ratified, with some amendments, on 11 December 1997, during the course of its first meeting, and in the meetings of the Scientific Committee of dates 15.12.2000, 30.9.2002 and 28.2.2003, and ratified by the Board of Trustees of the Foundation "International Society of Bioethics (SIBI)" in their meetings of December of 2002 and June of 2003.
The Scientific Committee performs its tasks with complete independence, always within the SIBI's available economic resources.
As expressed in its Charter of Principles the SIBI is an Society which aims are to promote reflection, analysis and open discussion on Bioethical issues; to support, disseminate and consolidate the knowledge of Bioethics in order to attain its full application in fields such as Medical, Biological, Environmental and Food Sciences and Technologies; to encourage legal and pedagogical developments regarding Bioethics at a national and international level, and to foster a legal, social and ethical analysis of any problem posed by scientific advances, especially in Medicine and Biotechnology. One of its main tasks is to disseminate the Bioethics Convention of Asturias and study in depth its contents and those of its Protocols. The SIBI carries out these tasks through its Scientific Committee
Charter of Principles
The following statement of principles and aims is declarative and non permanent. The Scientific Committee, internationally and independently, is aimed at:
- Promoting, supporting, disseminating and consolidating the knowledge of Bioethics, with a view to foster its full application in fields such as medicine, biology, technology, the environment, etc.
- Boosting cross-disciplinar inter-cultural and supranational analysis of the ethical and social consequences of scientific and technological advances and their applications, as well as encouraging, whenever necessary, further legal development of Bioethics.
- Organising and attending scientific exhibitions and any other activity which directly or indirectly, partially or totally involves initiatives, sectors or movements related to or representing Bioethics.
- Organising and/or implementing training initiatives regarding Bioethics.
- Organising, implementing or participating in the production and edition of texts on Bioethics, preferably those which might be used as teaching materials in the different levels of the Spanish education system or of other systems abroad.
- Exchanging criteria and experiences and supporting or working in co-operation with different national and international administrations, institutions, groups, associations, entities and societies, of private or public law, whenever useful for promoting and improving the knowledge, dissemination and consolidation of Bioethics.
- Organising, implementing or participating in the production and edition of publications in the field of Bioethics.
- Boosting the interest of citizens in an open, trans-cultural and democratic exchange of opinions on Bioethics.
- Creating a library on Bioethics in the SIBI headquarters in Gijón and granting scholarships to study Bioethics there.
- Granting a SIBI award on a biennial basis to the best published or otherwise disseminated work on Bioethics, according to the judgement of its Scientific Committee.